STEM Series Cards
Available September 2018
28 projects per class level with 6 copies of each project (Infants to 6th Class)
It is widely recognised that we need a next generation of scientists and creative thinkers to meet the challenges of the future. In primary school, teachers need to inspire and prepare today’s pupils to become tomorrow’s innovators.
The STEM Projects series provides opportunities for pupils to creatively apply skills and knowledge in a wide range of cross-curricular learning contexts. Although science is the subject area upon which most of the projects are based, other curricular areas (geography, mathematics, SPHE and visual arts) along with design and technology skills come into play in a cross-curricular fashion, depending on the project. By their very nature, these projects are group-work driven and they develop skills in communication, cooperation, problem-solving, reasoning, leadership and resilience.
These boxes will ensure that teachers can support and complement their existing science programme of work by incorporating either a short-term or long-term project into their schedule. Each box is divided into four colour-coded sections (Living Things, Energy and Forces, Materials and Earth and the Environment) but the variety of projects contained within each section also allows them to be successfully incorporated into a cross-curricular approach to topic teaching.
Each project clearly identifies the task that the pupils are to collaboratively work on. Suggested materials are listed so that they can be gathered and sourced quickly and easily. The criteria needed for pupils to evaluate their project are clearly presented in bullet point format. The back of each card adheres to the six-step design process that this series uses and it guides pupils systematically through that sequence.
Each project allows pupils to work creatively in small groups, using effective communication and collaboration skills, to plan, design, create and evaluate a thoughtful and innovative solution to a given task. When satisfied with their solutions, pupils are given a range of ways to showcase and discuss their designs, whilst also explaining how science was used throughout the project. The projects also contain opportunities for effective use of digital technology, including film-making, presentations, scanning QR codes and desktop (Internet) research.
The STEM Projects series contains:
- two introductory cards explaining STEM education, including: time allocations for using the cards; tips for planning, differentiating, assessing and supporting teaching and learning; and classroom and resource management ideas;
- one card with icons, explaining each step of the designing and creating process, in child-friendly language;
- one teacher reference card in each colour-coded section, outlining the knowledge and skills that pupils will use in the projects in that section and providing an overview of each project and the suggested materials needed;
- six short-term projects and one long-term project in each of the colour-coded sections; and
- six copies of each project to allow for small-group use.
Some ‘stand out’ projects include:
- design and create a miniature worm farm (Infants, Living Things)
- design and create a pirate ship (Infants, Materials)
- design and create a lighthouse (1st Class, Energy and Forces)
- design and create a miniature Zen garden (1st Class, Earth and the Environment)
- design and create a butterfly’s life cycle (2nd Class, Living Things)
- design and create a recycled paper treasure map (2nd Class, Materials)
- design and create a solar toasted sandwich maker (3rd Class, Energy and Forces)
- design and create a sundial (3rd Class, Earth and the Environment)
- design and create a home in a tree (4th Class, Living Things)
- design and create a simple Newton’s cradle (4th Class, Earth and the Environment)
- design and create a desert garden (5th Class, Living Things)
- design and create a home-made fire extinguisher (5th Class, Materials)
- design and create a simple wind turbine (6th Class, Energy and Forces)
- design and create a soluble crystal design (6th Class, Materials)
- STEM projects (1st class) - Code: 6178IR ISBN- 9781912760220
- STEM projects (2nd class) - Code: 6179IR ISBN- 9781912760237
- STEM projects (5th class) - Code: 6182IR ISBN- 9781912760268
- STEM projects (6th class) - Code: 6183IR ISBN- 9781912760275
- STEM projects (FS) - Code: 6177IR ISBN- 9781912760213
- STEM projects 4th class - Code: 6181IR ISBN- 9781912760251
- STEM projects(3rd class) - Code: 6180IR ISBN- 9781912760244